Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Post College Appointee to apply next-generation sequencing (NGS) for analysis of microbial communities as they relate to health and the environment. You will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop, optimize, and apply methods for NGS-based exploration of microorganisms; the work combines microbiological sample extraction, molecular biology, and state-of-the-art DNA sequencing techniques. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Extract and manipulate DNA and RNA from biological samples.
- Perform molecular biology techniques including PCR, DNA/RNA quantification and quality assessment, and sequence library preparation.
- Operate NGS instrumentation.
- Keep an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook and maintain complete records of experiments.
- Contribute to general lab maintenance and closely follow laboratory security and safety procedures ensuring all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Collaborate with other research groups at LLNL and other offsite institutions. Travel may be required to present work at meetings and attend visits to collaborator labs.
- Occasional weekend work and/or additional hours during the week may be required to follow through on ongoing experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent BS in biological or physical science or related field.
- Experience with typical molecular biology laboratory instruments and techniques such as PCR.
- Knowledge of the techniques and analyses required for DNA sequencing.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment with a diverse technical staff.
- Ability to multi-task with a team on multiple time constrained projects.
- Ability to follow standard laboratory protocols and ES&H safety procedures.
- Experience using personal computers, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
- Analytical, record-keeping and organizational skills necessary for working in a laboratory environment.
- Experience with DNA sequencing and library preparation.
- Experience with DNA extraction using Qiagen kits including minipreps, maxipreps, gel extraction, and PCR purification.
- Understanding of and comfort with the use of bioinformatics databases and Web based tools.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Joining our Talent Network will enhance your job search process.
Find out about future opportunities by registering your details with us.
Just upload your resume and complete a few simple questions about the type of position you are looking for. Once your profile is complete, our recruiting team will be able to match you to suitable roles.
We look forward to staying connected with you!